Saturday, December 28, 2013

Getting to Know You Meme - I'm Up for the Challenge!

Sheri has a great way of waking us up from our vacation slumber and getting us back into the groove!  Thank you, Sheri Edwards, for this challenge and I hope many of my PLN friends will follow if they are tagged!  Click to read Sheri's post if you need more info.


Here's How It Works:

  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers.
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.

11 Random Facts About Me:

  1. Technology:  I love it!  Although I've been a tech teacher for an elementary school for 15 years, I don't have my masters in IT...yet!  I also love chatting w/ my worldwide colleagues in skype chat groups.  :)
  2. Masters Program:  I'm FINALLY getting my Masters in IT!  I'm excited and nervous.
  3. Immediate Family:  My husband and I have 3 children and we are so blessed!  Maggie is 19, Meghan is 16 and Danny is 13.  This will be the only time they are all teens...time flies.
  4. Extended Family:  My sister and brother live in Rockford, IL, where we grew up, with their families.  My parents are there, too.  I'm the only one who left - and I get reminded often!
  5. Dog:  Our dog, Hobbs, is a boxer who thinks he's a lap dog.  He likes to snuggle and cuddle and loves to play.
  6. Phone:  I can't have it out of my sight...I know, that's not good.
  7. Cars:  I love cars!  My grandfather owned a body shop and I used to walk around the shop all of the time and talk to my cousins and other people who worked there.  I learned little things about cars and my fondness for them grew.
  8. Places: Our family has moved to 5 different houses and 3 states in the past 20 years.  We've lived in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois.  The house we're living in now is the longest we've resided - 11 years!
  9. Vacations:  We've travelled to many places in the US, but haven't gone west - until my daughters and I went to Hawaii last summer.  I went with Flat Classroom Project co-founders Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis and brought my daughters with me.  That was an amazing experience! 
  10. Books - I don't read them anymore...I listen to them!  I can get through a book much faster if it's read to me.  The last book I listened to was "One Amazing Thing" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  It was a book my oldest had to read for her Freshman year in college.  Good one!
  11.  Food:  I love it, but can't cook it very well - or so my children tell me.  So, I have 3 meals sent to us each week through Blue Apron, and I follow their recipes with the ingredients given.  It gives us a variety of different healthy foods and they seem satisfied.


Questions for Me:



  • When did you know what you wanted to do for a career? How did you discover that?
    • I wanted to be a teacher the Spring of my senior year.  I was going to be a pharmacist (because my dad wanted me to be one) and I just couldn't see myself in that career.  I felt a calling to be a teacher.
  • What are your top three favorite books of all time?
  • If you could only read one blogger next year, who would it be?
  • What advice do you have for educators today?
    • Open yourself up to new ideas daily.
  • What is on your bucket list?
    • I would love to travel around the world.
  • If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
    • Italy - preferably Sicily where both sides of my family are from.
  • What is your favorite quote?
    • “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much” ― Helen Keller
  • What song lyrics move you?
    • Lately, the Song, "Say Something" by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera
  • If you could sit with any 5 people dead or alive around your dinner table who would you choose and why?
    • Matt Dillon (childhood crush), and my grandparents (miss their stories of the past)
  • What are your five favorite verbs?
    • go, give, find, feel, do
  • What six words sum up your philosophy [of life or of education]?
    • Always do your best in everything.


Now It's Your Turn! 



Questions from me:

  1. If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
  2. Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right? Why?
  3. What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?
  4. What makes you, you?
  5. What makes a good friend?
  6. What was/is your favorite class in college/university?  Why?
  7. What is an important thing people should know about educators?
  8. What is your favorite grade to teach?  Why?
  9. Who/what inspired you to be who you want to be or are today?
  10. What is the best age to be?  Why?
  11. Where do you want to travel?


Remember - Here's How It Works:

  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers.
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Reply to this post with a link when you have finished your post.  Do as much as you can or want - thank you for considering this challenge!





1 comment:

  1. HI Theresa! Awesome! Thanks for continuing the meme. I don't envy you three teens! They are so demanding and independent in a delightfully, slightly stressful way! You will be awesome in your Masters Classes -- you could teach them! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete